Sunday, June 25, 2006

I know, I know

It's been a while since I've posted. I was gone for a week to the National Speech tournament in Dallas. Although I had my computer with me, the wireless internet was lousy and even if I had something to post, I couldn't do it.

I missed Mass last week because of being out of town. I looked into going to a service while in Dallas and found there was a Church less than a mile from the hotel but we had to leave too early to register for the competition and I didn't get to go. This morning I slept in because of not getting to sleep until around 2 a.m. I didn't go to the early 8:30 mass, but got up for the 11:15. A part of me didn't want to go. I felt tired and just wanted to stay in bed or in my recliner, but I made myself get ready. I knew that I would feel better after going since I always do. I was right. I was glad to be there and I especially loved singing. We had a different priest since ours is in Rome right now. He was difficult to understand as he spoke with a heavy Indian (I think) accent. I had a hard time paying attention to the homily as he seemed to go on and on and repeat himself over and over. I think the basics was that we are nothing without Christ.

I was glad to see my friend Carol afterwards. She has promised an evening in her hot tub praying the rosary and then having some wine. I am definitely going to take her up on that.

You know some people probably have issues with the idea that as Catholics we are required to attend Mass every weekend. Of course when it's impossible because of illness or other circumstances, it is o.k. and not considered to be a mortal sin. But if a person willingly makes a choice to not go to Mass, it is a major sin. I've said before how that was something I had to think about before making my commitment to join the Church. But I really "get" the importance of it now. I think that the more you are away from it, the easier it becomes to stay away. I also think that the more you go and participate, the more you grow in Christ. I now cannot imagine making an active choice to NOT go to Mass. I feel not only an obligation to go (especially on those days that I'm tired), but I want to go. It's difficult to explain the power of the sacraments to those that have never received them or to those that have received them but don't really understand what it's all about. The great thing about becoming Catholic is that it's something that you don't just jump in to. You have to study the faith. You have to be certain that you understand and can adhere to the Church's teachings. It's not a simple matter of saying a prayer and filling out a membership card. I'm still happy to be a part of this faith. I still want to know God's plan for me in it... and I do think He does have plans. I am trying to be patient. I still find myself .... perhaps concerned about my situations and I find myself praying for God to lift those burdens from me. I know He hears me and my prayers will be answered.... and in His time, not mine. It's just the time until He does answer that drives me crazy. Although I'm not ready for school to start back up again, it will be a bit of a relief since I'll be so busy that I don't have time to think about things so much.

Well, that's all for this post. I know it's not much, but I wanted to put something out there so you don't think I've fallen off the face of the earth!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ask for whom the Sabbath was made.

If the body will die without food, and the brain decay without mental exercise then what becomes of the soul devoid of mana from heaven?