Saturday, December 24, 2005

Merry Christmas

I'm sure that most of you reading this blog do not need a reminder of remembering Christ as we celebrate His birth tomorrow. I can't believe it is actually tomorrow. Where has the time gone? My schedule seems to be off this week without having RCIA. We did have a choir/music rehearsal on Thursday night and I think our Christmas eve Mass is really going to be special. It will be my first Catholic Christmas and I am looking forward to it so much. I am also especially thankful that my son will be sharing in it as well. You see, my son is not what you would call religious in any way. And yes, it is my fault really. As he was growing up, I was going through my non-religious state where even I didn't know what I believed. And Josh is at an age where he is in the same boat. He considers himself agnostic at this point because he is not certain whether he believes in God or not. And that is something that may be difficult for him to overcome... but he is at least curious about it at this point. So that is a small step. After his father passed away, he asked me if he could go to church with me some time. I told him of course and would ask him if he was interested in going on various Sundays. I never pushed him. He hadn't taken me up on any offers, but I figured all I can do is pray for him. When I mentioned that I might be playing at the Christmas eve Mass, he seemed interested. And then I didn't even ask him about it, but he asked if he could play. I told him of course! So he and I will be playing tonight with some other musicians. And what a special time for him to experience a Catholic Mass! I don't expect him to know God personally any time soon, but at least I know that the Holy Spirit is doing some work in him. What a great Christmas gift!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What you wrote reminds me of my "agnostic stage." While it was harder for me to come to believe, because I wasn't starting from a foundation of faith, it can and did happen. For me, it was a long journey and it was a number of little things that led me to the point of joining RCIA a few years ago. Merry Christmas.