Saturday, December 17, 2005

RCIA week 13

I have to admit that I didn't take in a lot of what was discussed this week. I was so very tired. In fact, I went to bed shortly after coming home after class. However, one thing that we did talk about is our obligation to go to Mass every week. I know I posted about this at one point perhaps in my other blog, but I'm going to repeat myself here... so just bear with me.
One of the things that actually might have prevented me from coming into the Church... or so I thought, was the fact that I would have to go every week. It wasn't because of any of the Church's teachings that so many other people have obstacles with... like birth control, praying to Saints, the veneration of Mary etc. I just wasn't sure I could make that kind of commitment. But once I started going, I realized, it's not that difficult. Sure, some mornings I am tired, but I can always go to the later service at 11:15. But I find that I always get something out of Mass. I can't imagine how much better it will be when I can receive the sacrament of the Holy Eucharist, but Easter really isn't all that far away. I can understand the obligation to go every week. I think when people miss a service here and there, it just gets easier to stop going all together. At least that's what happened to me back in the day of going to the Baptist church. Sure, other factors played a part, but by not going, it was easier to just walk away.
Now I am in a state where my life revolves around the Church. I make my decisions based on whether or not I will miss Mass, RCIA class or choir rehearsal.
Sometimes I wonder whether if I will be able to keep this commitment. I know that sometimes I will get involved in things for a period and then move on to something else... but I am really thinking that this time is different. I feel God's graces and His presence and the joy I have for Him. No, I don't make a big show about it, but it is a part of me now. And I am so thankful.
In order to grow in this faith and in any faith... one has to make the commitment to go and hear the word of God and participate with the faithful others.
I find that since I've been regularly going to Mass, my life has truly changed. I don't worry nearly as much as I used to. I feel a bigger sense of peace and happiness. Have I mentioned before how much I love being part of the Catholic Church?

No comments: