Sunday, November 27, 2005

Spiritual Alertness

That is what the homily was about today. The priest mentioned three ways that we can be more spiritually alert.

1. "Take five" with God. Spend at least five minutes a day spiritually with God. In prayer, in reading, in simple reflection. It's also best to do it first thing in the morning so you don't fall asleep and it is a way to jump start your day. The priest compared it to a shot of cappucino.

I admit that I could use the time with God and I need to make that time. Generally I say my prayers at night and I've found myself falling asleep before finished. I still lack focus in prayer, but I hope to do better than I have in the past.

2. Be creative. This helps the spirit stay alive and alert. Instead of buying all your Christmas presents, perhaps make some of them.

This is one thing I am already doing for the most part. One thing I have really enjoyed is making rosaries. I don't know what I'm going to do with the ones I've made... perhaps give them away or maybe even put them on ebay or something. But I also am going to be making a few of my Christmas presents this year.. not because it's cheaper, but I think it's more memorable and unique. I even have gotten some of my crochet stuff going again.

3. Stay in touch with nature. This clears our mind of the stresses of life.

This may be more difficult for me than the other two. I am not a person that is usually one with nature. Generally I try to avoid it. It's not to say I've never appreciated God's beauty in nature, but I have to say it is usually a rare thing for me. I will try to take the time to appreciate His work. (As long as there's not a lot of bugs and dirt... :)

During this season of Advent we should spend it in prayer and reflection as we prepare for the celebration of Christ's birth. Let us work on our spiritual alertness and celebrate with joy and hope this season.

No comments: